Module 7: CONTRACT DRAFTING AND PRINCIPLES OF LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING
Module Title: Contract Drafting and Principles of Legislative Drafting
Brief description of aims and content
This module aims to enable students to understand principles and purposes which govern the drafting of any legal document, with a specific emphasis on contracts and legislations, and equips them with skills to draft for themselves and others legal documents fulfilling the required drafting standards.
Having successfully completed the module, students should be able to:
- Understand the principles of legislative writing and legal drafting;
- Apply the requirements for a valid contract to the contract to be drafted;
- Plan and prepare the elements of a contract;
- Foresee possible litigation before drafting any legal document;
- Use negotiation skills to advise on the negotiation of contractual clauses before drafting a contract;
- Know the contract structure and understand the importance of each part of a contract;
- Use principles of contract drafting to draft contracts;
Draft clear and unambiguous contracts, laws/legal provisions.